SharePoint Project Series.

This is a series of blogs I am writing on SharePoint projects:

Part 1 - Design and Planning Part 2 - Implementation (Stage 1) Part 3 - Implementation (Stage 2)
Part 4 - Training Part 5 - Continued Support Part 6 - Suggested Continued Improvement

Thursday, June 12, 2008

In all seriousness...

You know what really grind my gears...

I am sick to death of corporations taking their IT solutions so lightly. I have now attended (once as a trainee and once as a trainer) two training sessions to do with PerformancePoint and SharePoint where the 'higher' level employees of the corporation have sent along general administrative staff eg: secretaries, admin staff, hr staff etc. to conduct high level SharePoint and PerformancePoint administrative tasks. I mean come-on, (no offence) secretaries posing as site owners and dashboard designers? Is this how seriously the CEO's and upper management take this type of technology?

I totally disagree with the way that businesses are approaching these technologies and their values to business productivity and business intelligence, yes they are designed to be end user friendly, however having personal assistants and secretaries design business models and content management policies and workflows is ludicrous. Now maybe it is the way that Microsoft is selling it's products but I just felt I really needed to get this off my chest.

I know I write my blog posts in a fairly comical manner (I assure you there will be beneficial technical data in there somewhere), however I take my job and passion very seriously and when I see occurances such as the above mentioned it really gets to me. Hopefully when their systems fall over, upper management will see the errors of their ways and employ some real architects, planners, engineers and administrators to properly implement these fantastic products that Microsoft have provided for us.

No comments: